Hi there. It’s Dr. Louella… Yes! I’m still alive!!! It’s been over a year since I’ve posted. I’ve been through many transitions since then. For example, I now see ‘dead people.’ I do medico-legal duty which involves pronouncing people dead from homicides and accidental deaths and referring bodies for autopsy if needed. I am not a CSI (crime scene investigator) but I work with them.
On the lighter side, I have been trying to practice what I preach, a healthy lifestyle. Over my 20 something years in medicine, I’ve heard all kinds of formulas. But for my life, I just want to keep it SIMPLE. My formula for health is to lead a balanced life.
I now emphasize the basics as a lifelong approach to health. It contains nothing new, but as a natural mathematician, I need my own formula. The first four are for your physical health. The last 2 are for your emotional well being. Do not underestimate the power of either. We need them both:
1. EAT….we agree it must be done to live.
Eat regularly. Starvation is wrong for many reasons.
But eat small portions (this is key).
Eat balanced: your fruits/veggies, starches/fibre, beans/meat.
Eat a variety of foods. Who cares about ‘superfoods’? Each fruit and vegetable has different benefits which man has not yet discovered. Why go off on the latest trend? Eat them all.
Reduce sugar. Reduce fats.
Use specific vitamin/mineral supplements we are still likely to be lacking.
2. DRINK WATER…. water is in a class by itself. Most people don’t drink enough. Drink it and drink it often. It actually is needed more than food.
3. SLEEP….. many of us do not understand the importance of sleep. When we sleep insufficiently our brains do not function at their maximum, leaving us with slower thought processes and fatigue. Find out how much sleep you need at nights, according to what makes you function best, and schedule it!
4. EXERCISE….. you may or may not lose weight but exercise has a dozen other benefits. You will also live longer with less pain in later life. Exercise (power-walk, run, skip, cycle, dance, swim, kick box, weight train, do aerobics, karate, etc.) for about half hour a day, plus other routine physical activity (house chores, regular walking, gardening). If you lie around all day and then do half hour exercise, it will benefit you little.
5. GIVE LOVE AND RECEIVE LOVE…. to your creator, co-workers, friends, family, significant other, pets. Both giving and receiving love release the feel-good hormone, oxytocin, and improves your well being and functioning.
6. RELAX/DO WHAT YOU ENJOY…. obviously this would make for a healthier you. Life for most of us on planet earth is stressful. When we are stressed our blood pressure and sugar can rise. Relaxation/de-stressing/fun are aspects of the human nature we cannot properly live without. Schedule breaks. Do something different. Switch your mind off work. Do something you really enjoy. This will give your body and mind time to better assimilate the work you have done and prepare you for what lies ahead. Recreate to re-create your being.
Now that there is MY blue print for me to live healthy. I haven’t got it mastered as yet. For example, I started having more fast food as I was ‘transitioning’. Now I have to practice good old home cooking to get what I need. And I am starting back to exercise…again!!!
This is Dr. Louella, over and out! From the beautiful isle of Trinidad.